According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, tomatoes are low fat, free of sodium, cholesterol and low in calories.
- Tomatoes contain lycopene, which has been shown to fight cancer. Cooked tomatoes have higher concentrations of lycoypene.
- Be sure to keep tomatoes out of the refrigerator unless they are sliced. The refrigeration harms the tomatoís flavor.
- Tomatoes are also good source of vitamin C, which can help boost the immune systemís ability to fight diseases and cancer.
- Make tomatoes easier to peel by putting them in boiling water for about 30 seconds and then letting them cool. You can then remove the peels with a sharp knife. Or if you donít want to wait for the tomatoes to cool you can plunge them into cool water for easy peeling.
Storage & Handling
- Storing temperature: 62°-68° F.