1. For steaks that are 1-inch thick or greater: grill or sear for 3 minutes per side for medium-rare, 4 minutes per side for medium.
2. For steaks that are less than 1-inch thick: grill or sear for 2 minutes per side for medium-rare, 3 minutes per side for medium.
3. Use a meat thermometer to properly cook your steak. Just insert it horizontally into the side of the cut’s center while making sure not to touch any bones or fat.
- Medium Rare: 145°
- Medium: 160°
- Well Done: 170°
4. To avoid releasing the juices of a steak when using a meat thermometer, test for doneness using your hand. With your left hand, palm facing up, touch the tip of your thumb to the tip of your pinky finger. Using your right index finger, press the muscle at the base of your thumb. This is what well-done feels like. Compare to the feel of your steak. Touch your thumb to your ring finger for medium-well, middle finger for medium and index finger for rare.
5. Meat continues cooking even when removed from heat. To achieve desired doneness, all steaks should rest for at least 5 minutes.