Christmas Baked Alaska
You won't believe how easy it is to create this impressive dessert for your guests!
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish.
- To prepare the batter, place dry cookie mix in a medium bowl and add chocolate chips and walnuts. Toss to coat evenly. In a separate bowl, combine water, melted butter and eggs, then add to dry ingredients and stir to combine. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cake cool completely, then slice in half to create 2 loaf shapes. Reserve 1 half for snacking and continue with recipe, or double the topping ingredients and create 2 baked Alaskas.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Place prepared cake onto a tray lined with parchment or waxed paper.
- With an electric mixer, beat together the egg whites, sugar and salt on high speed until mixture is shiny and stiff peaks form.
- Working quickly, scoop the ice cream evenly over the cake in 3-4 large scoops, pressing firmly to remove air pockets.
- Spoon the meringue all over the cake and ice cream, making sure to completely cover the cake and ice cream and seal the bottom edges.
- Place the cake in the oven and cook just until the meringue starts to brown, about 6-8 minutes. Serve immediately.
- To simplify assembly, bake the cake one day ahead of time (steps 1-3).
- This recipe can be assembled ahead of time and kept in the freezer (steps 5-8) until ready to brown in the oven (step 9).
Recipe courtesy of Chef Kates,
ALDI Test Kitchen