Savory Meat Pie
Mashed potatoes are topped with a ground beef and turkey filling, then topped with a biscuit crust.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Place potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until fork tender, approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place creamer and butter in a microwave-safe container and heat until warmed through, about 35 seconds.
- Drain the potatoes, return to saucepan. Mash the potatoes; add the creamer and butter mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste and continue to mash to desired consistency.
- In a sauté pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until translucent, approximately 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, stir to combine. Continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Add ground turkey, ground beef, 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper; cook 7-10 minutes or until browned. Stir in peas and corn, cook for 3 additional minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce; stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until sauce is slightly thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Prepare baking mix according to package instructions using 3 cups biscuit mix. In a 9x13-inch baking dish, layer mashed potatoes, then meat mixture, then biscuit mix topping. Spread mixture all the way to the edge to prevent bubbling over while baking.
- Bake for 45 minutes or just until topping is golden brown. Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.
Recipe Courtesy of ALDI Test Kitchen