Childhood Mac & Cheese Relived
Remember eating mac & cheese with hot dogs? Here's a more complex version to relive your childhood.
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Heat the skillet over medium-high heat. Sear the sausage until brown. Reserve.
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, sauté for 1 minute. Add the rosemary and tomatoes, sauté for 8 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Drain oil. Reserve tomatoes and garlic.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour, stir constantly for 2 minutes to make a roux.
- Slowly whisk the milk into the roux until thick and creamy. Stir frequently for 3 minutes.
- Add the Havarti and 1 cup parmesan cheese, stir until melted. Add 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Reserve.
- Fill a large saucepan with water and 1 tablespoon salt, bring to a boil. Add the pasta, stir and simmer for 7 minutes or until al dente. Drain, return to pan.
- Stir in the sausage, tomato mixture, cheese sauce and parsley. Garnish with remaining ¼ cup parmesan.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Michelle, ALDI Test Kitchen