Chunky Vegetable Minestrone
This hearty Italian soup is teeming with vitamins and fiber, thanks to the rainbow of vegetables and lean plant-based protein.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic, onion and salt. Cook until fragrant and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add celery, carrots, bell pepper, zucchini, sweet potato, basil and oregano. Continue to cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and chicken broth, bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for another 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes can be easily pierced with the tip of a knife.
- Stir in the tortellini and beans, simmer for 15 minutes or until pasta is al dente. Vegetables should be tender, not mushy.
- Remove from heat and stir in spinach to wilt. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve soup topped with freshly grated Parmesan and black pepper.
TIP: Though the recipe calls for chicken broth, it can easily be made vegetarian by using water or vegetable broth instead.
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Alicia Sokol, Weekly Greens