ALDI: U.S. Online Privacy Notice
We at ALDI Inc. (“ALDI” or “we,” “us,” or “our”)) respect your concerns about privacy. This U.S. Online Privacy Notice applies to personal information we collect on the websites, web pages and mobile applications listed here (collectively, the “Sites”). This U.S. Online Privacy Notice describes the types of personal information we collect on the Sites, how we may use the information, with whom we may share it and the choices available to you regarding our use of the information. We also describe the measures we take to safeguard the information and tell you how to contact us about our privacy practices.
Click on one of the links below to jump to the listed section:
Information We Collect
We may obtain certain personal information through our Sites. The types of personal information we may collect include:
· Your name, nickname, postal address, email address and telephone number;
· gift card number and security code;
· your geolocation data if you use our ALDI USA mobile application to search for a store;
· contact information of others to whom you ask us to send information;
· in connection with our careers pages, personal information contained in your resume, cover letter or other documents submitted online, including your name and education history; and
· content and other data posted to our Sites, blog and social media pages, and information we obtain through ALDI-related social media apps, tools, widgets and plug-ins.
Information We Collect By Automated Means
We may use third-party web analytics services on our Sites, such as those of Matomo. The information collected for this purpose (including your IP address, time of request, address of the web page that referred you to one of our Sites, browser characteristics, operating system characteristics and other information collected by automated means) may be disclosed to or collected directly by these service providers. You may choose not to have a unique web analytics cookie identification number assigned to your computer to avoid the aggregation and analysis of data collected on this website.
In addition, when you use our ALDI USA mobile application, we may collect certain information by automated means, including the application name, device type, version of the application and version of the operating system.
How We Use The Information We Obtain
We may use the information we obtain through the Sites to:
· Offer and provide products, services and information to you;
· communicate about, and administer your participation in, special events, programs, surveys, contests, sweepstakes, and other offers or promotions;
· send information to others;
· respond to and communicate with you about your requests, questions and comments;
· process claims we receive in connection with our products and services;
· enable you to post to our blog and interact with ALDI through social media;
· operate, evaluate and improve our Sites and business (including developing new products and services; managing our communications; determining the effectiveness of our sales, marketing and advertising; and analyzing and enhancing our products, services and Sites, including our mobile applications);
· perform data analyses and other processing (including market and consumer research, trend analysis, financial analysis, anonymization, encryption and tokenization of personal information);
· process employment applications, including by assessing qualifications, verifying information, conducting reference or other employment-related checks (if you submit an application for employment);
· protect against, identify and prevent fraud or other criminal activity, claims and other liabilities; and
We may use the information collected through automated means to provide a more tailored shopping experience and for market research, data analytics and system administration purposes, such as to determine whether you’ve visited us before or are new to the Sites, and for compliance with our legal obligations, policies and procedures. We also may use this information to target custom content and ads to you on the Sites and other websites, including as described in the Interest-Based Advertising section below.
The providers of third-party plug-ins on our Sites, such as social sharing tools, may use automated means to collect information regarding your use of the Sites and your interactions with the plug-ins. This information is subject to the privacy policies or notices of the plug-in providers and is not subject to this U.S. Online Privacy Notice. We are not responsible for these providers’ information practices.
Data about your activities online is being collected on our Sites for use in providing advertising tailored to your individual interests. You may choose whether or not to have your information collected for that purpose. This section of the U.S. Online Privacy Notice provides details and explains how to exercise that choice.
You may see certain ads on other websites because we participate in advertising networks administered by third parties and utilize third party service providers. Networks track your online activities over time by collecting information through automated means, including through the use of the technologies described in the “Information We Collect By Automated Means” section above, and they use this information to show you advertisements that are tailored to your individual interests. The information they collect includes information about your visits to our Sites, such as the pages you have viewed. This collection and ad targeting takes place both on our Sites and on third-party websites that participate in the ad networks, such as sites that feature advertisements delivered by the ad networks. This process also helps us track the effectiveness of our marketing efforts. To learn more about ad networks, including how to opt out, visit www.aboutads.info/choices. We may also use third party service providers, such as Google’s Double Click to collect information through automated means for the purpose of direct Aldi-related advertising and other content to you.
Information We Share
We do not sell or otherwise share personal information about you, except as described in this U.S. Online Privacy Notice. We share personal information with third parties who perform services on our behalf. We also may share the personal information we obtain with our affiliates.
Our Weekly Ads pages are operated by Fusion92 (“Fusion92”), whose own privacy policies apply to the collection, use and disclosure of information obtained through the Weekly Ads pages by Fusion92 and its partners (such as Fusion92 ad networks). Fusion92 may use browser cookies, HTML 5 web storage, pixels and web beacons on our Weekly Ads pages. Similarly, the collection, use and disclosure of information by social media sites in connection with ALDI’s social media pages and accounts, including on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube, is subject to those sites’ privacy policies.
We also may disclose information about you (i) if we are required to do so by law, regulation or legal process (such as a court order or subpoena), (ii) in response to requests by government agencies, such as law enforcement authorities, or (iii) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity. We reserve the right to transfer any information we have about you in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (including in the event of a reorganization, dissolution or liquidation).
We offer you certain choices about how we communicate with you and what information we collect from you. To update your preferences, ask us to remove your information from our mailing lists or submit a request, please contact us as specified in the How To Contact Us section of this U.S. Online Privacy Notice.
Notice To California Residents
CALIFORNIA CONSUMER PRIVACY NOTICE
This California Consumer Privacy Notice (“Notice”) supplements the U.S. Online Privacy Notice. It applies solely to California consumers and addresses personal information we collect online and offline. This Notice does not apply to Aldi Inc. personnel or job applicants.
This Notice uses certain terms that have the meaning given to them in the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 and its implementing regulations (the “CCPA”).
- Notice of Collection and Use of Personal Information
We may collect (and may have collected during the 12-month period prior to the effective date of this Notice) the following categories of personal information about you:
- Identifiers: identifiers such as a real name, postal address, unique personal identifier (such as a device identifier; cookies, beacons, pixel tags, mobile ad identifiers and similar technology; unique pseudonym, or user alias; telephone number and other forms of persistent or probabilistic identifiers), online identifier, internet protocol address, email address, account name, and other similar identifiers.
- Protected Classifications: characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law, such as race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, and military and veteran status.
- Commercial Information: commercial information, including records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, other purchasing or consuming histories, tendencies, or preferences, information from communications that we exchange, including when you contact us with questions, feedback, complaints, or otherwise, research data that you provide when you agree to participate in our surveys or research activities, such as your survey responses.
- Audio/Visual Information: security camera footage from our stores, voice recordings of conversations when you call our call center with questions, feedback, complaints, or otherwise.
- Online Activity: Internet and other electronic network activity information, information regarding your interaction with websites, applications or advertisements, device data such as the operating system type of the device.
- Geolocation Information: postal address, general location information (such as city, state or geographic area).
- Inferences: inferences drawn from any of the information identified above to create a profile about you reflecting your preferences, characteristics, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, abilities, and aptitudes.
We may use (and may have used during the 12-month period prior to the effective date of this Notice) your personal information for the purposes described in our U.S. Online Privacy Notice and for the following business purposes specified in the CCPA:
- Performing services, including maintaining or servicing accounts, providing customer service, processing or fulfilling orders and transactions, verifying customer information, processing payments, providing advertising or marketing services, providing analytics services, or providing similar services
- Auditing related to a current interaction with you and concurrent transactions, including, but not limited to, counting ad impressions to unique visitors, verifying positioning and quality of ad impressions, and auditing compliance
- Short-term, transient use, including, but not limited to, the contextual customization of ads shown as part of the same interaction
- Detecting security incidents, protecting against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, and prosecuting those responsible for that activity
- Debugging to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality
- Undertaking internal research for technological development and demonstration
- Undertaking activities to verify or maintain the quality or safety of a service or device that is owned, manufactured, manufactured for, or controlled by us, and to improve, upgrade, or enhance the service or device that is owned, manufactured, manufactured for, or controlled by us.
2. Sources of Personal Information
During the 12-month period prior to the effective date of this Notice, we may have obtained personal information about you from the following categories of sources:
- Directly from you
- Your devices
- Our affiliates
- Vendors who provide services on our behalf
- Our joint marketing partners
- Online advertising services and advertising networks
- Data analytics providers
- Operating systems and platforms
- Social networks
- Data brokers
3. Sharing and/or Sale of Personal Information
We do not share or sell your personal information to third parties in exchange for monetary consideration. We may allow certain third parties (such as online advertising services or marketing analytics) to collect certain personal information (Identifiers, Online Activity, Inferences) for online advertising purposes and to provide third-party social network features and functionality on our sites and services. You have the right to opt-out of this disclosure of your information, which may be considered a “sale” under California law. If you would like to opt out of the sale of your personal information, please click on the Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information link in the footer or below.
We do not have actual knowledge that we sell personal information of minors under 16 years of age.
4. California Consumer Privacy Rights
You have certain choices regarding your personal information, as described below.
Access: You have the right to request, twice in a 12-month period, that we disclose to you the personal information we have collected, used, disclosed and sold about you during the past 12 months.
Deletion: You have the right to request that we delete certain personal information we have collected from you.
Opt-Out of Sale: You have the right to opt-out of the sale of your personal information.
Shine the Light Request: You also may have the right to request that we provide you with (a) a list of certain categories of personal information we have disclosed to third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year and (b) the identity of those third parties.
How to Submit a Request. To submit a request, please complete the Data Subject Request Form and follow the instructions on the form for submission, or submit a request to https://www.aldi.us/en/contact/ and attach the completed Data Subject Request Form, or call us at 833-602-2534. To submit a Shine the Light request, please submit a request at https://www.aldi.us/en/contact. For questions or concerns about our privacy policies and practices, please contact us as described in the How to Contact Us section below.
Verifying Requests. To help protect your privacy and maintain security, we will take steps to verify your identity before granting you access to your personal information or complying with your request. If you request access to or deletion of your personal information, we will need to have sufficient information to be able to verify your identity and the rights you have in the data subject to your request. In addition, if you ask us to provide you with specific pieces of personal information, we may require you to sign a declaration under penalty of perjury that you are the consumer whose personal information is the subject of the request.
Additional Information. If you choose to exercise any of your rights under the CCPA, you have the right to not receive discriminatory treatment by us. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may charge a reasonable fee to comply with your request.
As noted, this is a U.S. focused web site. The Sites are not directed to users outside of the United State and are administered from the United States. Information provided through the Site may be uploaded to a cloud and/or transferred to the U.S. By providing information to the Sites you consent to the transfer, processing and/or use of the information to the U.S. and/or through a cloud. In the event you utilize this site from outside of the U.S., you consent to the uploading of any information to a cloud and the transfer of the information to the U.S.
Links To Other Websites
Our Sites may contain links to other websites for your convenience and information. These websites may be operated by companies not affiliated with ALDI, such as our Weekly Ads pages. Linked websites may have their own privacy policies or notices, which we strongly suggest you review if you visit any linked websites. We are not responsible for the content of any websites that are not affiliated with ALDI, any use of those websites, or the privacy practices of those websites.
How We Protect Personal Information
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal information you provide against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use. Nevertheless, please keep in mind that "perfect security" does not exist on the Internet.
Our Sites are not directed to children under the age of thirteen and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of thirteen on our Sites. If you become aware that we have inadvertently received personal information from a visitor under the age of thirteen on our Sites, please contact us with a request to delete the information from our records.
Updates To Our U.S. Online Privacy Notice
This U.S. Online Privacy Notice may be updated periodically and without prior notice to you to reflect changes in our personal information practices.
How To Contact Us--Access, Correct or Delete Information
If you have any questions about this U.S. Online Privacy Notice, or if you would like us to access, update, correct or delete information we have about you or your preferences, please use the Contact Us form available on the Sites or write to us at:
Attention: Customer Service
1200 N. Kirk Rd.
Batavia, IL 60510
We reserve the right to request information to authenticate your request. We may take a reasonable period of time to respond to any request to update or modify any information, limit use of information or to opt out of or unsubscribe from any communications. If you request the deletion, modification or limitation of use of your personal information maintained by us we will promptly review your request and respond. If we grant your request, such information may be retained for a period of time in our backup systems as a precaution against system failures. Some information may be retained for longer periods as required by law, contract or auditing requirements. In some circumstances we will not be able to limit use of your personal information without unsubscribing you from communications or deleting your information.