Gluten Free Fiesta Cornbread Fritters
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Prepare cornbread according to package instructions. Allow to cool completely.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a sauté pan on medium heat. Add onions and jalapeño, sauté 3-4 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add ground beef, salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder and onion powder. Cook until beef is browned. Drain, discard fat and reserve beef mixture.
- In a large mixing bowl, crumble cornbread. Add beef, sour cream, cheese and hot sauce. Mix thoroughly.
- Form into 1-inch balls and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a stock pot, heat remaining 4 cups oil over medium heat until temperature reaches 350°. Carefully drop balls into oil and fry for 3-5 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
TIP: Fritters can be made ahead of time and refrigerated for up to 24 hours or frozen for up to a month. If fritters are frozen, lower fryer temperature to 325° to ensure even cooking.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Kevin, ALDI Test Kitchen