Witches' Kettle Caramel Corn
A twist on a classic treat made with nuts, candy corn and tootsie rolls.
- Preheat oven to 250°.
- In a large pot, with a lid, melt coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add three kernels of popcorn. When they pop, remove from heat and add remaining kernels. Cover with a lid and let rest 30 seconds.
- Return pot with lid to stove over medium heat, shake gently when popcorn starts popping. Remove from heat when popping slows, about 3 seconds between pops.
- Pour into a large bowl, sifting out unpopped kernels.
- In the same pot, melt butter, corn syrup, brown sugar, tootsie rolls and salt. Stir until tootsie rolls have melted.
- Add vanilla and baking soda, stir to combine and pour over popcorn. Toss to combine.
- Stir in nuts and candy corn.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet, or split between 2 baking sheets and bake for 20 minutes, stirring halfway.
- Allow to cool completely, stirring occasionally to break up clumps.
- Serve when cool or store in an airtight container.
Tip: While warm, form into popcorn balls for a fun treat. If kernels are unavailable, pop two bags of your favorite popcorn in the microwave.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Alyssa, ALDI Test Kitchen