Caribbean Pork Kabobs and Coconut Rice
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- In a blender, combine marinade ingredients; process until smooth. Reserve until needed.
- In a zip bag, combine pork and 1/3 of marinade. In another bag, combine remaining kabob ingredients and 1/3 of marinade. Marinate for 1 hour in refrigerator.
- Drain both bags, discard marinade. Pierce ingredients on 8 skewers, beginning and ending with an orange. Grill kabobs 3 minutes, rotate and continue cooking for 3 minutes, brush kabobs with remaining marinade. Flip kabobs over and repeat.
- Cook rice according to package instructions. While rice is cooking, combine the coconut milk, sugar, salt and vanilla in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Strain and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the rice with the coconut mixture. Stir gently. Cover and allow to rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve kabobs over coconut rice.
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Susan Whetzel, Doughmesstic
ALDI Test Kitchen Tip:
For an inexpensive alternative to store-bought coconut milk, follow the directions below. This can be used for cooking or enjoyed on its own.
- In a small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 tablespoon coconut flakes, 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla. Bring to a simmer and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Transfer to a blender and process until smooth.
To achieve the taste of sticky rice, prepare long grain rice but cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Tip by Chef Jonathan, ALDI Test Kitchen