Caribbean Pork Kabobs and Coconut Rice
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- In a blender, combine marinade ingredients; process until smooth. Reserve until needed.
- In a zip bag, combine pork and 1/3 of marinade. In another bag, combine remaining kabob ingredients and 1/3 of marinade. Marinate for 1 hour in refrigerator.
- Drain both bags, discard marinade. Pierce ingredients on 8 skewers, beginning and ending with an orange. Grill kabobs 3 minutes, rotate and continue cooking for 3 minutes, brush kabobs with remaining marinade. Flip kabobs over and repeat.
- Cook rice according to package instructions. While rice is cooking, combine the coconut milk, sugar, salt and vanilla in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Strain and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the rice with the coconut mixture. Stir gently. Cover and allow to rest for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve kabobs over coconut rice.
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Susan Whetzel, Doughmesstic
Calories 410 Total Fat 6g Sodium 570mg Total Carbohydrate 63g Fiber 4g Sugars 28g Protein 26g
ALDI Test Kitchen Tip:
For an inexpensive alternative to store-bought coconut milk, follow the directions below. This can be used for cooking or enjoyed on its own.
- In a small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 tablespoon coconut flakes, 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla. Bring to a simmer and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Transfer to a blender and process until smooth.
To achieve the taste of sticky rice, prepare long grain rice but cook for an additional 5 minutes.
Tip by Chef Jonathan, ALDI Test Kitchen