French Quarter Beignets
- In a large mixing bowl, combine warm water, sugar and yeast. Allow yeast to activate for 10 minutes.
- Using a mixer, whisk eggs, salt and evaporated milk into the yeast mixture, until well blended.
- Slowly mix in 4 cups flour until smooth, then add shortening and remaining flour. Mix until incorporated then cover and chill for 4 hours.
- After dough has chilled, heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan to 360°.
- Roll refrigerated dough to ¼-inch thickness and cut into 2-inch squares.
- Fry each square in oil for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown, turning constantly. Remove from oil and allow to cool on paper towels for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle beignets generously with powdered sugar and serve warm.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Kevin, ALDI Test Kitchen