Maple Bacon Granola
A savory twist that combines the sweet flavors of dried cherries and maple along with bacon and chopped walnuts.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Chop bacon into small pieces. Cook in a medium skillet on medium heat until crispy. Drain and reserve fat. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, bacon, walnuts and cherries.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, salt and 1 tablespoon of reserved bacon fat. Heat in the microwave for 1 minute, stir. Continue cooking in 30-second intervals until brown sugar is melted, stirring in between each interval.
- Add sugar mixture to oat mixture and toss until thoroughly coated. Transfer to a parchment or foil-lined baking sheet. Spread into an even layer and bake in the center of the oven for 20 minutes. Rotate sheet pan 180 degrees, but do not stir. Continue cooking until lightly browned, 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool to room temperature and enjoy! Store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
TIP: Crush or chop the granola into smaller pieces to use as a crust for roasted chicken or pork.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Linsey, ALDI Test Kitchen