Chocolate Cherry Bomb Cupcakes
Fudgy cupcakes topped with marshmallow buttercream and a candy coated cherry.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 40 cups of 2 24-cup mini muffin pan with liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine brownie mix, eggs, 2/3 cup oil and 1/4 cup reserved cherry juice. Scoop into liners.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Reserve.
- Roll the cherries on paper towels to dry the outer skin. Skewer each cherry with a toothpick.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, water and 2 drops red food coloring. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until it reaches 300° with a candy thermometer. Dip the cherries one at a time into the hot mixture, tap the toothpick lightly to remove excess candy coating and place on a parchment-lined baking pan. Allow the candy shell to harden, about 5 minutes. Carefully remove the toothpicks. Reserve.
- In a small bowl, melt the chocolate for 40 seconds. Stir, microwave for 20 seconds. Stir in the remaining 1/4 teaspoon oil until combined and chocolate is melted.
- Dip the top of the cupcakes in the chocolate. Allow the chocolate to set, about 5 minutes.
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter. Add the salt and powdered sugar, one cup at a time. Beat until smooth and fluffy. Add the marshmallow fluff, beat until combined. Beat in vanilla extract.
- Frost each cupcake and top with a candied cherry.
TIP: For a pulled sugar topping, use the remaining melted sugar from step 5. After dipping the cherries, dip a whisk into the mixture and whip it onto a parchment-lined pan to form threads.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Michelle, ALDI Test Kitchen