Gooey Caramel Pumpkin Cake
A pumpkin twist on a Tres Leches Cake.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat an 8x8-inch square baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form; set aside.
- In another medium bowl, whisk egg yolks until smooth. Add oil, water, baking powder and canned pumpkin; whisk to combine. Add pumpkin bread mix and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Use a spatula to gently fold egg whites into pumpkin mixture until well incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick remains clean when inserted in the center of the cake.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together caramel, evaporated milk, heavy cream, vanilla and salt.
- Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Invert cake onto a wire rack. Set inside a rimmed baking sheet. Poke holes all over top of cake with a toothpick. Slowly drizzle half of sauce mixture over cake, pausing to allow mixture to soak into cake. Let cake sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Place a plate (with a rim, to catch any liquid) on top of cake and flip to invert cake onto plate. Slowly drizzle cake with remaining sauce.
- Cake can be served warm or chilled. If desired, top each serving with whipped cream and a drizzle of additional caramel.
Tip: To feed a crowd, this recipe can easily be doubled to make a large 9x13-inch cake.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Kates,
ALDI Test Kitchen