Grandma Schmidt's Coffee Cake
A recipe sure to be kept in your family.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a Bundt pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the streusel ingredients. Crumble together. Reserve.
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugar together. Whisk in the eggs, heavy whipping cream and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir into the creamed mixture. The batter will be thick.
- Sprinkle 1/3 streusel mixture in the bottom of the Bundt pan, cover with 1/2 the batter mixture. Follow with 1/3 streusel mixture, remaining 1/2 of batter. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/3 streusel mixture.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Allow to cool. Invert the pan, remove the coffee cake. Coffee cake may be displayed with either end up.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk and powdered sugar. Stir until smooth. Drizzle the icing over the coffee cake.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Michelle, ALDI Test Kitchen