Cupcakes infused with citrus fruit.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cake mix, vegetable oil, egg whites, zest of 1 lime, zest of 1 orange, 1/2 cup lime juice and orange juice. Add the milk and whisk for 2 minutes.
- Fill the muffin cups about 2/3 full, dividing the batter evenly among the lined cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20-22 minutes.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare frosting: In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and salt, continue beating until well combined. Add 1 teaspoon lime juice, vanilla and heavy cream. Beat until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Frost each cupcake and sprinkle with the remaining lime zest and orange zest. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Michelle,
ALDI Test Kitchen
16.5 ounces Baker's Corner White Cake Mix
1/4 cup Carlini Vegetable Oil
3 Goldhen Large Eggs, whites only
2 limes, zested, divided
2 oranges, zested, divided
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 2 limes)
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 1 orange)
1/2 cup Friendly Farms 2% Milk
1 cup Countryside Creamery Unsalted Butter, room temperature
2 1/2 cups Baker's Corner Powdered Sugar
1/8 teaspoon Stonemill Essentials Iodized Salt
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 teaspoon Stonemill Essentials Pure Vanilla Extract
3 tablespoons Friendly Farms Heavy Whipping Cream