Cupcakes infused with citrus fruit.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 12-cup standard muffin tin with paper cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together cake mix, vegetable oil, egg whites, zest of 1 lime, zest of 1 orange, 1/2 cup lime juice and orange juice. Add the milk and whisk for 2 minutes.
- Fill the muffin cups about 2/3 full, dividing the batter evenly among the lined cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20-22 minutes.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Prepare frosting: In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter until light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and salt, continue beating until well combined. Add 1 teaspoon lime juice, vanilla and heavy cream. Beat until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Frost each cupcake and sprinkle with the remaining lime zest and orange zest. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Michelle,
ALDI Test Kitchen