Peppermint Mocha Frosted Candy Cane Cupcakes
Candy Cane Layered Cupcake
- Preheat oven to 350° and line 3 dozen cupcake cups with cupcake liners.
- Prepare cake mix colors according to the directions on the packaging. For the red devil's food cake, whisk in the food dye coloring.
- To create a swirled cupcake: Fill 18 cupcake liners with 1 tablespoon red batter. Then follow with 1 tablespoon white batter. Then follow with 1 tablespoon red batter. Repeat this step starting with the white batter for the remaining 18 cupcakes.
- Bake 20 minutes until toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of a cupcake, or if pressed down on, it springs back.
- Allow to cool at least 15 minutes before frosting.
Frosting (make while cupcakes are baking)
- In a bowl, cream together the powdered sugar, cream cheese, baking cocoa, coffee, butter, vanilla extract and ground candy canes. Reserve in refrigerator.
- In another bowl, whisk the heavy whipping cream until it reaches stiff peaks. Chill in the refrigerator for 5 minutes. Once the heavy whipping cream has chilled, fold it into the creamed mixture with a spatula. If the mixture does not hold its shape, re-whisk it to stiff peaks.
- Frost each cupcake once they have chilled. Sprinkle with leftover ground candy canes. Refrigerate.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Michelle,
ALDI Test Kitchen