Chocolate Thumbprints With Marshmallow Crème
Delicious chocolate cookies filled with marshmallow crème and topped with crushed candy canes - perfect for your next Christmas cookie exchange!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line two large baking sheets with a silicone mat or nonstick parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, add the butter. Cream butter for 60 seconds with a hand mixer on HIGH speed. Next add the sugar and beat for 60 seconds. Finally, add the egg yolk and vanilla and beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa and salt.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat until it starts to come together. Add the heavy cream and beat until combined, then add the last of the flour mixture. At first the dough will seem overly crumbly, but do not add more cream—just keep beating until it starts to come together into a ball.
- Using a tablespoon measure, scoop out balls of dough. Roll them in your hand into perfect balls then place them 2” apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Using your thumb or the end of a wooden spoon, make indentations in the center of each cookie.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes. When done, they will be very fragrant and the edges will look dry. Right when the cookies come out of the oven, use the wooden spoon to go back over the indentions to make sure they’re deep enough to hold the filling.
- While the cookies cool, beat together the butter, marshmallow crème, heavy cream and vanilla until light and fluffy. Move the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a round tip, or scoop the mixture with a spoon.
- Add a dollop of the marshmallow mixture to the center of each cookie. Top with crushed candy cane pieces.
Note: These cookies store best without the crushed candy canes on top—the candy canes melt and soften over time. Cookies will keep for 5 days in the fridge in an airtight container. Let soften at room temperature before serving.
Recipe and image courtesy of @dessertfortwo.