Red and Green Velvet Cookies
Nostalgic red velvet cake flavor in festive red and green cookies.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Place ¼ cup of butter into 2 medium bowls. Microwave until melted. To each bowl, add 2 tablespoons yogurt, 1 ½ teaspoons vinegar and 2 teaspoons of red or green food coloring. Beat the egg in a small bowl and divide between the two bowls (about 2 tablespoons each). To each bowl, add ¼ cup cocoa and 1 ½ cups cookie mix. Use an electric mixer to blend on medium speed until each batter is well combined.
- Scoop by rounded tablespoons onto prepared baking sheets (each color should yield about 14 cookies). Bake 12-15 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes on baking sheet, then transfer to wire racks.
- Prepare frosting: In a small saucepan, whisk together flour and milk over medium heat until mixtures thickens to a pudding consistency. Cover mixture and cool to room temperature (can be refrigerated). Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add milk mixture and vanilla and mix until fluffy and smooth.
- Crumble 2 of each color cookie into small bowls. Pipe frosting onto remaining cookies and top each with cookie crumbs.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Kates,
ALDI Test Kitchen
Carlini Cooking Spray
½ cup Countryside Creamery Unsalted Butter, divided
¼ cup Fit & Active Plain Nonfat Yogurt, divided
1 tablespoon Tuscan Garden White Vinegar, divided
2 teaspoons red food coloring
2 teaspoons green food coloring
1 Goldhen Large Egg
½ cup Baker's Corner Baking Cocoa, divided*
17.5 ounces Baker's Corner Sugar Cookie Mix, divided*
3 tablespoons Baker's Corner All Purpose Flour
1 cup Friendly Farms 2% Milk
1 cup (2 sticks) Countryside Creamery Unsalted Butter, softened
1 cup Baker's Corner Granulated Sugar
2 teaspoons Stonemill Essentials Pure Vanilla
*These are Seasonal items that are only in stores for a limited time and may no longer be available.
28 cookies (14 red and 14 green)