Bourbon Poached Apples with Salted Caramel Cream
- For the salted caramel cream: In a small saucepan, stir together 1 cup of sugar and water. Cook on medium-high heat for approximately 15 minutes or until sugar starts to turn a light golden color. Reduce heat to low, immediately add 1 cup of heavy cream. Wait 30 seconds and stir, add salt and stir until dissolved. Set aside and cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, beat remaining cream and vanilla to form stiff peaks.
- In a separate medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and remaining sugar until smooth, about 3 minutes. Fold in whipped cream and ½ cup of the salted caramel. Refrigerate.
- For the bourbon poached apples: In a large pot, stir together apple juice, bourbon, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg and honey until combined. Add apples and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for approximately 15-20 minutes or until fork tender. Stir occasionally.
- Serve warm apples with salted caramel cream and garnish with reserved caramel sauce. Dust with remaining cinnamon and powdered sugar.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Linsey, ALDI Test Kitchen