Dairy Free Sweet Pierogi with Fruit Compote
A sweet twist on a savory favorite; silky almond milk custard inside soft pierogi dough with a luscious fruit sauce.
- Using two medium bowls, separate egg yolks from whites. Reserve whites for later use. Add 1/4 cup brown sugar and vanilla to egg yolks; whisk until mixture becomes creamy and pale yellow, reserve.
- In a small pot over medium heat, heat 1 cup almond milk and corn starch. Whisk until corn starch dissolves; heat until warmed through. Temper the egg yolks by slowly adding 1/2 cup warm almond milk mixture to cold egg yolk mixture, whisk thoroughly. Pour mixture into pot with remaining 1/2 cup warmed almond milk. Bring mixture to a simmer, whisking frequently to prevent curdling, remove from heat. Allow mixture to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in 1/3 cup coconut oil until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add reserved egg whites and remaining 3/4 cup almond milk. Mix until soft, sticky dough forms. Let rest 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium pot over medium-high heat, heat 2 teaspoons coconut oil. Sauté plums until tender, approximately 3 minutes. Add blueberries, dried cranberries, riesling, honey and remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Stir until brown sugar dissolves; bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low, let simmer until ready to serve.
- Place dough onto floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Using a cookie cutter, cut 3-inch round circles. Any remaining dough can be rerolled and cut to yield more pierogi.
- Fill each dough circle with 1 tablespoon cooled almond milk custard. Brush one edge with water. Fold over other edge and press firmly to seal.
- In a large pot with boiling water, boil pierogi until they begin to float, about 3 minutes. For a crisp pierogi, lightly fry in coconut oil. Top with fruit sauce.
Recipe Courtesy of ALDI Test Kitchen