Grilled Caramel Pineapple
An alternative approach to a pineapple upside down cake.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Coat grill with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Grill pineapple slices 1 minute per side; remove from heat. Grill cake slices 1 minute per side.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg white, salt, ¼ cup brown sugar, cinnamon and pecan halves.
- Line a large rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper. Spread pecan mixture on sheet, bake for 27 minutes. Stir pecans every 9 minutes. Allow to cool.
- For caramel: In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add ¾ cup brown sugar and stir until combined. When butter and brown sugar start to caramelize, turn heat off and whisk in half & half. Allow caramel to cool slightly.
- To assemble: On a serving platter or plate, place a slice of grilled loaf cake and alternate with grilled pineapple, 2 slices of each for an individual portion. Drizzle with caramel sauce and top with candied pecans. If desired, serve with vanilla ice cream.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Jonathan,
ALDI Test Kitchen