1 hour, 15 minutes
2 hours, 15 minutes
Best Apple Pie
With a flaky lattice pie crust and tender, perfectly spiced apple filling - this really is the best apple pie recipe. Prepare to be amazed!
- Freeze the butter at least 30 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, use a spatula to stir together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, mix the water, lemon juice and ice.
- Use a grater to large grate the butter into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Then stir it gently with a spatula to coat the butter with flour. Add 3 tablespoons water and stir with the spatula to combine. Add 3 more tablespoons and stir again. Add up to 3 more tablespoons and use your hands to gently knead until a ball of dough is formed.
- Divide the dough into two equal balls. Place in a covered container and refrigerate while making the filling.
- Place a baking sheet on the middle rack of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees.
- Peel and core the apples, then thinly slice them about 1/8-inch thick. Place in a large pot with lid or a Dutch oven.
- In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch, sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
- Stir into the apples. Then stir in the ground ginger, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla. Cover and cook over medium heat for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened slightly and liquid is thickened. Remove from the heat and remove the lid.
- Flour a clean work surface. Remove one ball of dough from refrigerator and roll it evenly from the center to the edge, until the dough is a large circle about 1/8-inch thick. If it starts to get sticky, dust lightly with flour.
- Rest the dough for 3 minutes. Then trim to an even 12-inch circle with a pizza cutter or knife.
- Gently place the dough into center of the pie plate, using the rolling pin to transfer it. Use your fingers to press the pastry into the form of the pie pan. Then fold the excess dough around the edges under itself, so that it sits evenly on the rim of the pie plate. Spoon the apple filling into the pie plate, discarding any remaining liquid at the bottom of the pot. Place the pie into the freezer while rolling out the lattice topping.
- To make the lattice, roll out the second dough ball into an 11” x 14” rectangle. Rest 3 minutes. Then use a straight edge to cut it into 7 strips, where each strip is 11” x 2”.
- To weave the lattice, remove the pie plate from freezer. Carefully lay out 4 strips of dough in same direction on the pie. Weave the strips together to create the lattice with the remaining 3 strips.
- Place the pie on the preheated baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes at 425 degrees. Reduce the heat to 375 degrees and bake for 30 minutes.
- About 5 minutes before the 30 minute timer goes off, make the maple glaze by adding maple syrup and cinnamon to a small pot. Heat over medium heat until bubbles just start to appear (about 2 minutes). Turn off the heat.
- Remove the pie from the oven and brush an even layer of the maple glaze (leftover glaze can be discarded). Bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes until golden brown and bubbly. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack.
- Allow to cool for at least 1 hour until warm, or a few hours until it is room temperature.
Recipe and image courtesy of @acouplecooks.