35 minutes (plus 1 hour, 30 minutes to chill)
1 hour, 35 minutes (plus 1 hour, 30 minutes to chill)
Classic Apple Pie
Traditional flaky pie crust with a cinnamon spiced apple filling.
- For the pie crust: In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar and salt. Cut in the butter and shortening using a pastry blender or your fingers until mixture resembles pea-sized pieces. Gradually add 6 tablespoons of water and knead until a dough forms. Add more water (1 tablespoon at a time) if dough is too dry. Form into two discs. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- For the apple filling: In a small bowl, whisk together corn starch and water to create a slurry; reserve. In another small bowl, stir together cinnamon, sugar and brown sugar. Reserve two tablespoons of sugar mixture in a separate bowl. In a large pot, melt butter. Add apples and cinnamon sugar mixture. Cook on medium heat 5 to 10 minutes, until apples are cooked to preferred tenderness. Slowly pour in slurry. Stir continuously until thickened. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Roll each disc of dough into a 12-inch circle. Place one circle of dough in a pie pan and trim the edges flush with the rim of the pan. Cut the remaining circle into ½-inch strips. Refrigerate the crust and the strips for 30 minutes.
- For the egg wash, in a small bowl, whisk together egg and water, reserve. Fill the pie shell with apple filling and brush the edge of the crust with a little of the reserved egg wash.
- To create the lattice top: Place half of the strips of dough across the top of the pie spaced about ¼-inch apart. Fold every other strip back half way and lay another strip perpendicular, then unfold the folded strips. Next fold back the alternate strips from the ones previously folded. Lay another strip perpendicular, then unfold the folded strips. Repeat this process across the whole pie to create a lattice top. Crimp the edges around the pie sealing the dough strips to the bottom crust.
- Brush the remaining egg wash over the top of the pie and sprinkle with reserved cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, until crust is lightly golden brown. Cool to room temperature before cutting.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Linsey, ALDI Test Kitchen