Mixed Berry Slab Pie
Stuffed to the brim with bright summer berries, this stars-and-stripes inspired slab pie is the perfect end to a summer day.
- Place flour, sugar and salt into a large bowl. Add cold butter and toss to coat. Using your hands, combine the butter into the flour mixture.
- Combine ice, water and vinegar in a bowl. Sprinkle a few tablespoons of water into the flour mix, and mix in well. Continue adding water until you have a dough that holds together well, but isn’t too wet.
- Form into a rectangle, and wrap in plastic wrap. Repeat the process so you have two rectangles of dough.
- Chill overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out one rectangle of dough to slightly larger than a quarter sheet pan. Transfer to a quarter sheet pan (9 x 13), leaving excess overhanging. Chill briefly.
- Roll out the second piece of pie dough, and cut strips slightly longer than the pan. Cut star shapes from the remaining dough - you can re-roll scraps. Place on a parchment lined sheet pan and chill briefly.
- Place blueberries, blackberries and strawberries in a bowl. Add the corn starch and sugar, and mix, squishing some berries with your hands to help combine.
- Transfer the filling into the sheet pan. Trim edges. Arrange the strips on top, then trim excess. Top with stars. Chill for 30 min.
- Preheat the oven to 425°f. Brush the pie with egg wash and sprinkle with raw sugar. Place on a sheet pan.
- Bake for 20 min, then reduce to 375°f and bake for 45-50 min until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbly.
- Allow to cool before serving with ice cream.
Recipe and image courtesy of @cloudykitchen.