Beer and Brat Cheese Soup
- In a medium pot, simmer bratwurst in beer, until fully cooked, about 15 minutes. Remove bratwurst and set aside.
- Continue cooking until beer is reduced by half, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a medium pot, heat butter and sauté onions until translucent. Add garlic and crushed red pepper, cook for 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetable mixture and whisk to create a roux. Cook until the roux has turned a light brown color, then whisk in cream and broth. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in salsa and return to simmer. Gently stir in cheese.
- Slice the bratwurst into half moons and return to soup pot. Add Worcestershire, hot sauce and lemon juice.
- Add reduced beer, stir until combined. Top with sour cream and serve.
TIP: When making cheese soup, never let the mixture boil. This will cause the mixture to break. If it appears to break, stir in 1 cup of sour cream to bring it back together.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Scott, ALDI Test Kitchen