Cauliflower Potato Cakes with Spicy Chili
Try this recipe the next time you are craving a loaded baked potato.
- For the chili: In a large pot over medium heat, brown the beef. Drain well. Add onion, peppers and jalapeños, cook for 5 minutes. Add the beans, tomatoes and tomato paste, stir until thoroughly combined. Fill the diced tomato can with water; add to the pot. Add spices and simmer for 20 minutes; reserve.
- For the cauliflower potato cakes: In a blender or food processor, pulse the cauliflower, potatoes, onion and garlic until mixture resembles fine particles. Place in a fine sieve and stir to remove as much liquid as possible. Sprinkle in corn starch, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Divide the potato mixture into 8 patties.
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, heat ¾ cup oil. Working in batches, add patties and cook 3-5 minutes per side, or until golden and crispy. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- To serve, place two cakes on a plate, layer with 2 tablespoons cheese, a generous scoop of chili, 2 tablespoons sour cream and garnish with green onions.
TIP: Make this vegetarian by leaving out the meat. To reduce the heat, seed the jalapeño or leave it out all together.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Stacey, ALDI Test Kitchen