Basil Ice Cream with Bacon, Tomato Jam and a Balsamic Vinegar Swirl
This is a classic recipe for ice cream with a savory twist.
- Place inner bowl of electric ice cream maker in freezer for 16 hours to overnight to freeze.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring cream and milk to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally; do not boil. Add basil and cover. Remove from heat and steep for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, add balsamic vinegar and reduce to syrup-like consistency, never allowing it to boil, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another small saucepan over medium heat, add tomatoes, lemon zest, lemon juice, cumin, ginger, crushed red pepper, a pinch of salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons sugar. Stir to combine and cook for 10 minutes or until liquid is reduced, smashing the tomatoes into a paste. Place in refrigerator to chill.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks, remaining 2 cups of sugar, vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Reserve.
- Bring cream and basil back to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Strain into a large measuring cup or bowl. Discard basil. Temper the egg mixture by adding ¼ cup of cream to egg mixture whisking constantly. Slowly pour in remaining mixture and incorporate completely.
- Pour back into pot and place on stove. Cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and has a silk-like appearance, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer mixture into a metal bowl; place into an ice bath.
- Continue stirring until mixture cools to 35°, about 5 minutes.
- Immediately bring out ice cream machine, assemble, turn machine on, add mixture and run for 15 minutes.
- Add in bacon and let run for 5 minutes.
- Pour 1/3 of mixture into a plastic container, top with 1/3 of the tomato jam and 1/3 of the balsamic reduction. Repeat. Using a long thin knife or skewer, drag a “Z” pattern through the ice cream to create a swirl effect.
- Serve immediately or freeze up to 3 weeks.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Alyssa, ALDI Test Kitchen