Grilled Caramel Pineapple
An alternative approach to a pineapple upside down cake.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Coat grill with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat oven to 375°.
- Grill pineapple slices 1 minute per side; remove from heat. Grill cake slices 1 minute per side.
- In a medium bowl, combine egg white, salt, ¼ cup brown sugar, cinnamon and pecan halves.
- Line a large rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper. Spread pecan mixture on sheet, bake for 27 minutes. Stir pecans every 9 minutes. Allow to cool.
- For caramel: In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add ¾ cup brown sugar and stir until combined. When butter and brown sugar start to caramelize, turn heat off and whisk in half & half. Allow caramel to cool slightly.
- To assemble: On a serving platter or plate, place a slice of grilled loaf cake and alternate with grilled pineapple, 2 slices of each for an individual portion. Drizzle with caramel sauce and top with candied pecans. If desired, serve with vanilla ice cream.
Recipe Courtesy of ALDI Test Kitchen