- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the strawberries, sugar and 1 tablespoon water. Simmer until strawberries break down and mixture is thick, about 5 minutes (do not reduce beyond ¾ cup). Cool.
- Prepare the cake according to the package directions using the vegetable oil, ½ cup water, ¾ cup of strawberry mixture and egg whites. Blend in food coloring until thoroughly mixed. Bake according to package directions. Cool on a wire rack.
- Prepare cheesecake filling: In a medium bowl, cream the cream cheese and butter together until smooth. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla and milk. Continue to whip until fully incorporated; set aside.
- Using a spoon, scoop out a tablespoon of cake from the middle of each cupcake. Spoon in a tablespoon of cream cheese filling. Refrigerate cupcakes while preparing frosting.
- Prepare frosting: In a medium bowl, cream the butter and shortening until light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, blue food coloring and milk. Whip until light and smooth.
- Frost the cupcakes and top with patriotic sprinkles.
TIP: Use the leftover cake bits in a trifle dessert.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Stacey,
ALDI Test Kitchen