Roasted Red Pepper Bisque
- Coat red bell peppers in oil and roast over an open flame (stove top or grill), rotating so all sides become charred. Wrap each pepper in plastic wrap and reserve.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion, crushed red pepper, garlic and thyme. Cook until onions are translucent.
- Add tomato paste and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Deglaze pan with white wine and cook until wine is reduced by half.
- Meanwhile, peel, seed and chop the roasted red peppers. Using a food processor or blender, combine peppers, heavy cream and chicken broth. Process until smooth.
- Add mixture to the reduced wine. Bring to a light simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Whisk corn starch and water until smooth. Add to soup and bring mixture to a simmer. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and stir in brandy.
TIP: The alcohol in the brandy does not cook out of the soup; however, adding brandy adds a great depth of flavor to the soup.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Kevin, ALDI Test Kitchen