Seared Scallops with Herbed Lemon Oil
- Allow scallops to fully defrost in the refrigerator and place on paper towel-lined plate. Top with another paper towel and place in refrigerator at least one hour to absorb any liquid (scallops need to be very dry to sear properly).
- In a food processor, combine the arugula, cilantro, basil, mint, lemon juice, capers, anchovies and salt. Pulse until roughly chopped. Add the olive oil, pulse until mixed, but herbs are still visible.
- Pat scallops dry with a paper towel. Season to taste with salt and pepper on both sides.
- In a 10-12 inch cast iron skillet, heat 2 tablespoons canola oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, sear half the scallops for 2-3 minutes. Flip scallops, add 1½ tablespoons butter and 1 clove garlic. Cook, frequently tilting skillet and spooning butter over the scallops until cooked through and golden brown, 2-3 minutes. Place on plate, allow to rest. Wipe pan out and repeat with remaining scallops.
- Place on a serving dish and drizzle each scallop with a spoonful of herbed oil. Serve with lemon slices.
TIP: Leftover herbed oil can be used for bruschetta, omelets, spooning over chicken, fish, beef and more.
Recipe Courtesy of Executive Chef Mary Nolan, Bon Appétit
Photo Courtesy of Lisa Romerein