Squash and Baby Kale Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- In a small bowl, combine squash, 1 tablespoon oil, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper and toss until well coated. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Transfer squash to baking sheet and roast about 10 minutes or until tender but crisp. Reserve.
- Place bacon strips on foil-lined baking sheet. Cook for 15 minutes or until crispy. Crumble bacon and reserve. In a small bowl reserve 1/4 cup bacon fat.
- In a small sauté pan, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until caramelized, reduce heat to low after 10 minutes and stir every 5 minutes or as needed. Reserve in a large bowl.
- Add squash, bacon, onion, cranberries, almonds and kale; toss to combine.
- For the dressing: In a medium bowl, combine vinegar, mustard and brown sugar. Slowly drizzle in bacon fat and remaining olive oil until emulsified. Pour dressing over salad and toss to combine. Serve immediately.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Audrey, ALDI Test Kitchen