5 minutes (plus overnight to marinate)
8 hours, 5 minutes (plus overnight to marinate)
Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon for Two
- Combine beef, wine, diced onion, carrots and celery in a medium bowl. Marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
- Day two: Remove the beef from the marinade, reserve the marinade. In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp and remove from pan, reserve. Drain all but 2 tablespoons of bacon fat from pan. Brown meat in bacon fat. Reserve drippings.
- Place browned beef in slow cooker. Pour marinade over beef; add beef broth, bay leaf and garlic. Cook on low for 8 hours (or high for 6).
- Using the drippings, sauté the onion slices and mushrooms until they begin to soften. Remove from pan and refrigerate.
- Twenty minutes before the meat has finished cooking, strain the mixture. Return the meat to the slow cooker along with the mushroom and onion mixture, cover with lid.
- Pour the reserved liquid into a small saucepan and whisk in the tomato paste. Bring mixture to a simmer. In a small bowl, whisk the corn starch and water together. Whisk the corn starch slurry into the simmering mixture.
- Simmer until sauce is slightly thickened, return to slow cooker. Continue to cook for the balance of the cooking time (20 minutes). Serve over cooked egg noodles, and top with the reserved cooked bacon crumbles.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Stacey,
ALDI Test Kitchen