3 hours, 15 minutes (plus 24 hours to brine)
Herb and Citrus Stuffed Turkey
- For Brine: In a large pot over high heat, combine water and salt. Bring to a boil until salt is completely dissolved. Reserve and cool completely.
- Place turkey in a 5 gallon bucket or large cooler. Pour salt water over turkey. Add 2 apples, 2 oranges, 2 lemons, 2 mandarins, 2 sprigs sage, 2 sprigs thyme and garlic to the turkey. Brine for 24 hours.
- Heat oven to 325°.
- Remove turkey from brine and rinse. Pat completely dry with paper towels. Discard brine. Sprinkle salt and pepper inside cavity and outside on the skin. Set in roasting pan with rack, breast side up. Tuck wings under to avoid burning. Pour 2 cups turkey stock in the bottom of the pan.
- Chop 2 sprigs each of sage and thyme and combine with melted butter. Brush all over turkey.
- Stuff the cavity with the rest of the apples, oranges, lemons, mandarins, celery, onion and the remaining 2 sprigs of sage and thyme.
- Roast turkey for 3 hours or until internal temperature reaches 165°, basting once every hour.
- Melt butter in a saucepan with pineapple juice and cook 2 minutes. Set aside. Add salt and pepper.
- Truss legs together with butcher's twine, then brush the turkey with the melted butter mixture.
- Bake for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until internal temperature reaches 165°, occasionally basting the turkey with pan drippings. Cover with foil when the bird starts to brown.
Tip: For a quick gravy, return roasting pan to stove, over low heat. Skim off fat from pan drippings and sprinkle flour in pan drippings. Slowly whisk in stock until thickened and smooth.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Audrey,
ALDI Test Kitchen