1 hour, 10 minutes
1 hour, 30 minutes
Creamy Pumpkin Soup with Chili Cran-Apple Relish
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cut butternut squash and acorn squash in half and remove seeds. Lay squash cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet and place in oven. Pour water into baking sheet until water reaches ½ way up the side of the pan. Bake for 30-45 minutes or until squash are soft.
- Peel squash and add flesh to a food processor along with heavy cream and pumpkin, process until smooth.
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and thyme. Sauté until onions are caramelized. Sprinkle flour over onions to make a roux. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until roux is golden brown.
- Add squash mixture and bring to a light simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- While soup is simmering, dice apple into small cubes and combine with cranberries, honey and hot sauce. Stir to combine.
- Season soup with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish soup with 1 tablespoon of apple mixture.
TIP: The squash is used as a thickener in this recipe. If using large squash, an extra cup of heavy cream can be used to thin the soup out if necessary.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Kevin, ALDI Test Kitchen