Tomato Bisque is a classic soup that is perfect for a cozy meal or a light lunch. The ingredients for this recipe are easy to find and come together to create a delicious and creamy soup that is sure to become a family favorite.
To make this soup, you'll start by sautéing diced onions, baby carrots and medium bell peppers in extra virgin olive oil. The vegetables are sweated over low heat for 10 minutes until they are tender. Then, you'll add Roma tomatoes that are cut into eighths, along with chopped garlic, parsley flakes, ground cumin, ground thyme, basil and Italian seasoning. The mixture is heated for another 5 minutes to release the flavors.
Next, you'll add 3 cups of water and simmer the mixture for half an hour. The longer you simmer, the more flavorful the soup will become. After the mixture has simmered, blend it in a blender until it is pureed.
Return the pureed mixture to the saucepan and add 1 cup of half & half. You'll also add 1 1/4 teaspoons of iodized salt and 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper to taste. The half & half adds a creamy and rich texture to the soup, making it a perfect comfort food.
This recipe is great for a chilly day when you want something warm and comforting. It's also perfect for entertaining guests as it can be made ahead of time and reheated before serving. The tomato bisque pairs well with a variety of sides, such as grilled cheese sandwiches or a fresh salad.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onions, carrots and bell peppers.
- On low heat, sweat the vegetables for 10 minutes until they are tender.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, parsley, cumin, thyme, basil and Italian seasoning. Heat for another 5 minutes.
- Add the water and simmer for half an hour.
- Blend the broth in a blender until it is pureed. CAREFUL, IT IS HOT. Return to saucepan and add half and half. Add the salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Michelle,
ALDI Test Kitchen