1 hour, 15 minutes
Verde Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- For the chicken: Brush one side of the chicken with half of the olive oil. Sprinkle with half of the salt, pepper and garlic powder. Place in a glass baking dish, seasoned side down. Brush the top with remaining olive oil, season with remaining salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Roast in the oven for 25 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the juices run clear. Allow to cool for 15 minutes, then dice.
- For the soup: In a 5-quart Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add red onion and garlic; stir to coat. Cook for 5 minutes or until the onions are tender. Add the salt, pepper, bell pepper, green onion, jalapeño, ¼ cup cilantro, lime juice, cumin and oregano. Stir and cook for another 4-5 minutes, until the vegetables are fragrant and tender.
- Add the salsa verde, chicken stock and water. Stir in the diced chicken, bring to a simmer. Cook for an additional 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with tortilla chips, fresco cheese and remaining cilantro.
Recipe and Photo Courtesy of Cassie Laemmli, Bake Your Day
ALDI Test Kitchen Tip:
Puree 8 ounces of chopped green chilies as a substitution for salsa verde.
Tip by Chef Michelle, ALDI Test Kitchen.