Chicago Shrimp and Couscous
Introducing Chicago shrimp and couscous, a sensational dish that combines the flavors of succulent shrimp, grilled vegetables and savory couscous. This recipe is perfect for those looking to enjoy a light and refreshing meal with a touch of spice.
To get started, make sure your grill is preheated to medium heat. In a large bowl, gather the star of the show, the raw jumbo shrimp, along with quartered mushrooms, sliced red pepper and the extra fine green beans. Sprinkle them with a pinch of salt, a dash of ground black pepper and a teaspoon of cayenne pepper, infusing the ingredients with a tantalizing kick.
To brighten the flavors, zest and juice two lemons, adding a vibrant citrusy twist. Drizzle in a tablespoon of olive oil, ensuring every ingredient is coated with its delightful essence. Give everything a gentle toss and let it rest for a few minutes, allowing the flavors to mingle and develop at room temperature.
While the ingredients are resting, it's time to prepare the grill basket. Place it on the grill and let it heat up for a few minutes, ensuring that it's nice and hot.
Now, transfer the marinated shrimp and vegetables from the bowl onto the grill basket, spreading them out to ensure even cooking. Toss them occasionally, allowing the heat to work its magic. Watch as the vegetables become beautifully charred and the shrimp turns firm and succulent. The sizzling sounds and mouthwatering aromas will surely awaken your appetite.
While the grill works its magic, prepare the couscous. In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine 1 ¼ cups of water, the seasoning packet that comes with roasted garlic couscous, and the remaining 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil, infusing the couscous with rich flavors. Stir in the plain nonfat Greek yogurt, adding a creamy touch that will elevate the dish to new heights. Finally, add the couscous itself, allowing it to absorb the flavorful liquid. Cover the saucepan, remove it from heat, and let it rest for 5 minutes.
Now, it's time to bring everything together. Toss the grilled shrimp, vegetables and couscous in a large bowl, allowing the flavors to intertwine harmoniously. The tender shrimp, smoky vegetables and aromatic couscous create a symphony of tastes and textures that will leave you craving for more.
To add a final touch, garnish the dish with sliced green onions, providing a burst of freshness and visual appeal. This vibrant and flavorful Chicago shrimp and couscous is best enjoyed immediately, so gather your loved ones and savor every mouthful. Whether it's a weekday dinner or a weekend get-together, this dish is sure to impress and satisfy.
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- In a large bowl, toss together shrimp, mushrooms, red pepper, green beans, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, lemon zest, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon oil. Let rest for 5 minutes at room temperature.
- Place grill basket on grill and heat for 5 minutes.
- Transfer items from bowl and place on grill basket. Toss occasionally and cook until vegetables are charred and shrimp is firm to the touch.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium heat, bring water, couscous seasoning packet and remaining 2 teaspoons oil to a boil. Stir in yogurt and couscous. Remove from heat and cover. Let rest 5 minutes.
- Toss all ingredients together and serve immediately. Garnish with green onions.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Alyssa, ALDI Test Kitchen