1 hour, 30 minutes
Hand Rolled Gnocchi
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, or until soft.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; add onions, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper and crushed red pepper. Sauté until translucent.
- Add tomatoes and bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, add vodka and cook for 10 minutes. Stir in heavy cream and continue simmering for 30 minutes. Season to taste. Reserve.
- In a large bowl, remove skins from potato; discard. Mash potatoes with a fork. Let cool 10 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon lemon zest, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, cheese, basil, eggs, flour and remaining teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Mix into a soft, slightly sticky dough, adding more flour if necessary. On a floured surface, roll into 2 1-inch logs and slice into 1/2-inch pieces. Roll with a fork or over a floured gnocchi board.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Cook gnocchi for 3-4 minutes or until gnocchi float to the top.
- In a small bowl, toss zucchini, arugula, blue cheese, tomato, remaining tablespoons lemon juice and zest; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss gnocchi in a little sauce and place on plate. Top with desired additional sauce and arugula salad.
TIP: It is best to used cooled potatoes, and not to mash smooth. Using a fork or gnocchi board creates grooves in the pasta which allows more sauce to be captured.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Alyssa, ALDI Test Kitchen