Indulge in the classic Italian comfort food with this delicious Spaghetti Carbonara recipe! Made with simple ingredients like bacon, eggs, cheese and pasta, this dish is a crowd-pleaser that's perfect for any occasion. The creamy, savory sauce coats the spaghetti noodles, creating a mouthwatering combination of flavors that will leave you craving for more.
To start, gather your ingredients, including 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter, which will add a rich and velvety texture to the dish. Cook 16 ounces of spaghetti according to package instructions in a pot of boiling water, and while the pasta is cooking, you can prepare the other ingredients.
In a medium saucepan over low-medium heat, sauté 4 ounces of premium sliced bacon until it's crispy and golden brown. The aroma of the sizzling bacon will fill your kitchen with a heavenly scent that will whet your appetite. As the bacon cooks, you can mince 1 clove of garlic and dice 1 cup of butternut squash, which will add a touch of sweetness and earthiness to the dish.
Once the bacon is cooked, incorporate the minced garlic and diced butternut squash into the pan, stirring them together until the garlic becomes fragrant and the squash softens. To slow down the cooking process of the garlic, you can add a splash of pasta water to the pan, infusing the flavors and creating a delicious base for the sauce. Then, add 1 cup of organic baby spinach to the pan, allowing it to wilt and release its vibrant green color and fresh taste.
As the pasta finishes cooking, strain it, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta water, which will be used to create the luscious sauce. Add the cooked spaghetti to the pan with the bacon and vegetables, tossing them together to coat the noodles with the flavorful ingredients. Remove the pan from heat, and it's time to add the star of the show - the beaten large egg, which will create a creamy and luxurious sauce.
Using tongs, actively stir the pasta while slowly incorporating the beaten egg and 2 tablespoons of shredded parmesan cheese. The residual heat from the pan and the pasta will gently cook the egg, creating a creamy and silky sauce that clings to the noodles. If the sauce appears too thick, you can use the reserved pasta water as needed to achieve the desired consistency.
To elevate the flavors even further, return the pan briefly to heat and add 1 tablespoon of butter, which will add a luscious richness to the dish. Season with ground sea salt and peppercorn to taste, adding a dash of savory and peppery notes that perfectly balance the creaminess of the sauce.
The result is a plate of spaghetti carbonara that's simply irresistible. The combination of the smoky bacon, creamy sauce, al dente pasta and the subtle sweetness of butternut squash creates a harmonious symphony of flavors that will satisfy your taste buds and leave you craving for more. This dish is perfect for a cozy dinner at home or for impressing guests at a special occasion. Enjoy the comforting and delicious taste of spaghetti carbonara with this easy and flavorful recipe!
- Fill a medium pot with water, bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- In a medium saucepan over low-medium heat, sauté chopped bacon until brown.
- As bacon is cooking, incorporate garlic and butternut squash in the pan until garlic becomes fragrant and squash becomes soft. Add a splash of pasta water to the pan to slow down the cooking process of the garlic.
- Hold the saucepan at a slow simmer and add spinach. Add more pasta water to pan if appears dry.
- Once pasta is cooked, strain spaghetti, reserving 1/2 cup of the pasta water. Add spaghetti to pan and toss together. Remove from heat.
- Add 1/4 cup of pasta water to pan. Using tongs, actively stir while slowly incorporating egg and parmesan cheese. Use remaining pasta water as needed if sauce becomes too thick.
- Once fully incorporated, briefly return to heat. Add 1 tablespoon butter, salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Trevor, ALDI Test Kitchen.