Quinoa and Black Bean Tacos with Cilantro Lime Crema
Quinoa and Black Bean Tacos with cilantro lime crema is so simple to make: you need a few pantry staples, one skillet, and just 30 minutes start-to-finish. Plus, they’re 100% vegetarian!
- Add the olive oil to a medium skillet (with lid) over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion. Season with 1 teaspoon Kosher salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent and fragrant, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir the garlic into the skillet. Cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add in the spices (chili powder, cumin, paprika) and tomato paste. Stir to coat the onion and garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes more, until very fragrant.
- Add the quinoa to the skillet, stirring to combine with the onion mixture. Let the quinoa toast for about 1 minute before adding in the vegetable broth. Increase heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, add in the black beans. Cover the skillet and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. Once the quinoa is cooked, remove the skillet from the heat – but let it stand covered for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, remove the lid. Squeeze the lime juice over top and fluff the mixture with a fork. Set aside for taco assembly.
- Meanwhile, as the quinoa simmers, prep the cilantro lime crema. Add all listed cilantro lime crema ingredients to a food processor or blender. Blend to combine, adding a tablespoon or two of water as needed to reach your desired consistency. Set aside, or transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Add some of the quinoa and black bean mixture to a tortilla with sliced avocado. Top with a drizzle of cilantro lime crema. Finish with some chopped cilantro, a spritz of fresh lime juice, and any salsas or toppings your taco-lovin’ heart desires. Enjoy!
Recipe and images courtesy of @playswellwithbutter.
Calories 520 Total Fat 12g Sodium 960mg Total Carbohydrate 82g Fiber 14g Sugars 6g Protein 20g