- For the pickled red onions: In a medium pot over medium heat, bring all ingredients except for onion to a boil. Pour over onions in a bowl or mason jar, allow to cool and then reserve in refrigerator.
- For the burgers: In a sauté pan, melt butter on medium-low heat. Add onion and sauté for 10 minutes.
- Add apples, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Sauté until onions caramelize and apple softens, about 10 minutes
- Deglaze pan with whiskey. Remove from heat and reserve.
- In a mixing bowl combine ground beef, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, remaining 1 teaspoon pepper, cumin and chili powder. Mix until ingredients are combined.
- Divide beef into four equal portions. Flatten each portion into a thin patty. Place half of the onion mixture in the center of each of two of the patties. Top with remaining patty. Press sides together to seal.
- Grill burgers for 6-8 minutes per side or until internal temperature reaches 145°. Serve over a bed of arugula and spinach mix on the bottom bun, topped with 1 tablespoon of blue cheese and pickled red onions to preference.
Recipe courtesy of the ALDI Test Kitchen.