A classic dish from The Big Easy.
- In a small bowl, combine all Cajun seasoning ingredients. Reserve.
- In a large pan over low heat, melt butter. Stir in flour and cook until roux is the color of peanut butter.
- Whisk in vegetable stock until fully incorporated. Season with 4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning, then stir in onions, garlic, bell peppers and celery. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent the roux from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Continue cooking until vegetables are tender, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and simmer for another 30 minutes.
- Rinse the shrimp under cold water and drain thoroughly. In a large bowl, toss the shrimp in 5 teaspoons of Cajun seasoning until evenly coated.
- Stir shrimp into sauce and simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Season to taste with hot sauce. Serve immediately over rice, if desired. Garnish with green onions.
TIP: Store leftover Cajun seasoning for up to six months, or use this seasoning to make our Cajun Chicken Pot Pie.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Scott, ALDI Test Kitchen