Beer Braised Corned Beef and Cabbage Mashed Potato Bloom
Irish mashed potatoes with spinach and Irish cheese cabbage bloom.
- In a large pot, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Sear the corned beef pieces on each side.
- Slowly add the seasoning packet (included with corned beef brisket), broth, beer and brown sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 2 ½ hours until the beef is tender. Remove the beef and reserve.
- Add the cabbage halves and, if needed, enough water to cover the cabbage. Bring to a boil, simmer for 15 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, cut the potatoes into quarters, place them in a medium saucepan. Cover with water and 1 tablespoon salt. Bring to a boil, simmer for 15-20 minutes until fork tender.
- Drain the potatoes, return to pot and add the heavy cream and butter. Mash the potatoes to desired consistency. Stir in the spinach, cheese, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- To make cabbage mashed potato bloom: Remove the cabbage from the braising liquid and make eight 3 ½ x 3 ½-inch round bases with the leaves. Fill each center with ¼ cup mashed potatoes.
- Slice the corned beef and serve with bloom. Top with remaining broth.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Michelle,
ALDI Test Kitchen
3 tablespoons Carlini Pure Olive Oil
1 Cattlemen's Ranch Corned Beef Points, cut into 6 pieces*
32 ounces Chef's Cupboard Beef Broth
11.2 ounces Holland Lager 1839
¼ cup Baker's Corner Brown Sugar
1 head cabbage, cut in half, core removed
10 red potatoes
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Stonemill Essentials Iodized Salt, divided
½ cup Friendly Farms Heavy Whipping Cream
3 tablespoons Countryside Creamery Unsalted Butter
4.5 ounces Little Salad Bar Flat Leaf Spinach, stems removed, sliced
4 ounces Kerrygold Dubliner Irish Cheese, crumbled*
1 teaspoon Stonemill Essentials Ground Black Pepper
*These are Special Buy items that are only in stores for a limited time and may no longer be available.
3 hours, 20 minutes