Pot Roast with Tomato Gravy
Soft and tender Pot Roast perfect on a cold winter’s night.
- Season the meat with salt and pepper. In a large sauté pan, sear both sides in 1 tablespoon vegetable oil until a brown crust forms.
- Remove meat from pan and place in crock pot. Add the carrots, celery, onion and garlic to the same sauté pan. Sauté 5 minutes until tender.
- Deglaze pan with red wine and scrape bits from the bottom. Simmer until reduced by half. Add this mixture to the crock pot with the meat and add the bay leaf. Fill the crock pot with water until the meat is covered. Cook approximately 5 hours on high.
- Remove meat from pan. Strain the solids from the liquid. Discard the vegetables, keep the liquid.
- Separate the meat from the fat, discard the fat.
- In a sauce pan, cook the tomato paste for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the reserved liquid with a whisk.
- Mix corn starch and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl and add to the gravy. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook until thickened. Stir in parsley.
- Pour the gravy over the meat, serve with rolls and mashed potatoes.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Stacey,
ALDI Test Kitchen
1 USDA Choice Chuck Roast*
1 tablespoon Carlini Vegetable Oil
2 carrots, peeled, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup Winking Owl Cabernet Sauvignon
1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons Happy Harvest Tomato Paste
1 tablespoon Baker's Corner Corn Starch*
1 teaspoon Stonemill Essentials Parsley Flakes
*These are Seasonal items that are only in stores for a limited time and may no longer be available.
5 hours, 10 minutes
5 hours, 30 minutes