Rare Roast Beef
A fresh herb and garlic crusted beef roast with a tomato pan sauce, perfect for any autumn occasion.
- Preheat oven to 500°.
- Cut tiny slits into roast at varying depths and place cloves from 1 head of garlic in each cut.
- In a food processor, combine remaining garlic cloves, onion powder, pepper, rosemary, thyme and parsley. Slowly stream in oil until emulsified. Rub onto all sides of the roast.
- Place onion and mushrooms on baking sheet. Top with roast, fat side up.
- Bake for 5 minutes per pound, approximately 15-20 minutes, then turn off oven.
- Leave roast in oven for one hour. Do not open the door.
- Remove roast from oven and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Pour drippings, onion and mushrooms into a saucepot with tomatoes and beef stock. Heat to simmering. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Place sauce in blender, and puree to desired consistency. Return to pot and cook over medium heat until reduced to desired consistency. Season to taste with salt.
- Thinly slice roast against the grain and serve with pan sauce.
Tip: To easily remove leaves from fresh herbs, place through the holes of a colander and pull through.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Alyssa, ALDI Test Kitchen