Comforting beef stew transformed into a flatbread sandwich
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over high heat. Sear the meat on all sides. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the salsa and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Cover, cook for 3 hours or until tender. Shred and reserve.
- In a medium pan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the onions, Italian seasoning and season to taste with salt and pepper. Sauté until caramelized, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. When the pan becomes dry, deglaze with a tablespoon of water. Cook any excess liquid off. Reserve.
- Heat a panini press.
- Lay each flatbread onto a flat surface. Evenly divide the dressing in the center third of each flatbread. Top with an equal quantity of spinach, onions, cheese and stew meat. Fold the outer layers over the meat.
- Heat each sandwich in the panini press until the cheese melts and the flatbread is toasted.
Recipe Courtesy of Chef Michelle, ALDI Test Kitchen