Slow Cooker Beef Bourguignon for Two
- In a medium bowl, combine wine, diced onion, carrots and celery. Add beef coating thoroughly with the mixture. Marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
- Remove the beef from the marinade, reserve the marinade and transfer to a plate reserving the marinade. In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove from pan, drain on a paper towel, reserve. Remove all but 2 tablespoons of bacon fat from pan. Brown meat in bacon fat over medium high heat. Remove from pan; reserve drippings.
- Place browned beef in slow cooker. Pour marinade over beef; add beef broth, bay leaf and garlic. Cook on low for 8 hours (or high for 6).
- In the reserved drippings, sauté the onion slices and mushrooms until they begin to soften. Remove from pan and refrigerate.
- Twenty minutes before the meat has finished cooking, strain the mixture. Return the meat to the slow cooker along with the mushroom and onion mixture, cover with lid.
- In a small sauce pan, heat the reserved liquid and whisk in some tomato paste. Bring mixture to a simmer. Make a slurry in a small bowl by whisking the corn starch and water together. Whisk the slurry into the simmering mixture.
- Simmer until sauce is slightly thickened, return to slow cooker. Continue to cook for the balance of the cooking time (20 minutes). Serve over cooked egg noodles, and top with the reserved cooked bacon crumbles.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Stacey,
ALDI Test Kitchen