Mediterranean Rice Salad with Shrimp
Perfect for al fresco dining or a light lunch.
- Peel thawed shrimp, leaving tail intact. If desired, the tail can be removed completely. Combine shrimp in a medium bowl with herb garlic marinade and 2 cloves of minced garlic. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spread pine nuts on a small cookie sheet and bake about 5 minutes or until fragrant and lightly toasted. Be careful not to burn the nuts. Remove from hot pan and set aside.
- Bring 1 3/4 cups water to a boil, then add uncooked rice, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Return to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir, cover pot and let stand for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine lemon juice, remaining clove of garlic, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and red pepper flakes, and whisk together well. While continuously whisking, slowly drizzle 1/2 cup olive oil into the mixture, creating a vinaigrette.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan. Working quickly, grill shrimp for 1-2 minutes per side or until shrimp appear opaque and lightly charred.
- In a large serving bowl, combine warm rice with shrimp and remaining ingredients. Then add vinaigrette and toss to combine. For full flavor, serve at room temperature.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Kates,
ALDI Test Kitchen